Tuesday, April 1, 2014

This Week's Challenge Entry - PCCCS086

I have been hunting for a new internet group who offer regular craft challenges and I think I have found them - The Paper Craft Crew Challenges and what's more they are Stampin' Up! Demonstrators. I am so excited!

So the Challenge #86 starts today/tomorrow (depending upon which hemisphere you are in). This is the Card Sketch PCCCS086:
I love the fact that the card has a combination of elements including the three little circles (what I have interpreted as embellishments) and banners along with a central point of interest ~ hopefully a stamped image! Here is my take on the challenge:
The Open Sea is one of my favourite masculine stamp sets of all time. It is so versatile. I want to use this card for a friend who is going through a rough time at the moment. My base card is Night of Navy (but I have mounted the whole card on a square of Crumb Cake cardstock). I have then mounted a piece of Crumb Cake on the blue cardstock as background to Very Vanilla - stamped with the World Map background stamp in Early Espresso ink and the seagulls background stamp from the Clockworks set stamped in Night of Navy stamp set to balance the colour palette.

I used the Bills of Lading stamp from and The Open Sea on the left hand side as the required feature of the Card Sketch. The ship (from The Open Sea) was stamped in Night of Navy and I have also masked the stamp and stamped the ocean aspect of the same stamp to continue the horizon. I then coloured the sea using a torn post-it note and a dauber with Night of Navy ink. The sky was daubered using a punched stencil using the 2 3/8" Scallop Circle Punch, dauber and Smoky Slate ink. Of course the image was cut with the Ovals Framelit dies and mounted on a complementary Night of Navy oval.
The sentiment is from Loving Thoughts, stamped in Night of Navy on Very Vanilla and trimmed into a banner shape. I mounted this on a banner hand cut from Crumb Cake and Night of Navy cardstock.
On the sketch the embellishments are identified by three circles on the left hand side of the image. I chose to use an Antique Brad and stamped the compass and the anchor from The Open Sea set. I stamped in Night of Navy on Very Vanilla and punched out the compass with a 1 1/4" Circle Punch. I stamped the compass as second time and punched the points centre using the 3/4" Circle Punch and daubered both circles with Crumb Cake ink.  The smaller circle is mounted by dimensional and both circles were then mounted on an additional Night of Navy punched 1 3/8" Circle Punch. The anchor was fussy cut and daubered with Crumb Cake to add to the distressed appearance of the card.
Five pennants feature in the challenge. I have hand cut the Night of Navy and Crumb Cake cardstock to size to complement the other punched pennants. I stamped the globe map from The Open Sea in Night of Navy on Very Vanilla and the harlequin stamp from Clockworks in Crumb Cake and punched them out with the Banner Punch from the Sale-a-Bration promotion.
The inside of the card is Very Vanilla mounted on Crumb Cake cardstock. I stamped down the edge of the Very Vanilla with the Bill of Lading stamp from The Open Sea set in Early Espresso.  I masked the stamp with torn post-it notes. The edge of the cardstock has been daubered in Crumb Cake to add to the rustic feel of the card.

I loved doing this challenge and am looking forward to participating again.

Enjoy!
Shanni

5 comments:

  1. Hi Shanni, Wow! What an amazing card! So many fabulous details from the way you've sponged the sea to the many layers and Antique brad and Compass. Thanks so much for joining us at the Paper Craft Crew this week and I hope to see you back again soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love this card! So many details and great ideas. I think I have to try masking more often...
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shan, love how you made the banner sentiment on this card! You always make amazing cards with this stamp set.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A really great card, love this set!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Shanni... I'm totally floored by your gorgeous card! And, yes, the "circles" represent embellishments. Your card is absolutely amazing and the detail is flawless. We are so glad that you found the Paper Craft Crew! As the sketch designer, I really enjoyed reading your blog post and seeing how on point you were with my thought process when designing sketches. This is actually one of my favorite sketches. On that note... You along with your card have been selected as one of our Featured Artisans and you'll find your card posted on the blog later this evening.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I am always excited to hear from visitors and take inspiration and joy from the messsages left.
Cheers
Shanni