Saturday, September 1, 2018

Totally Techniques - Faux Linen

 

Welcome back after our summer break to another Totally Techniques Design Team blog hop. Our technique this month is Faux Linen. I hope you enjoyed Zoe's gorgeous project, I love how Zoe always thinks outside the box!

This is a really simple but effective technique and I am sure you are going to love it as much as we have. I followed a great tutorial by Beate Johns from Splitcoaststampers.

This is my card:
I know you are surprised its a square card. 6" x 6" with a Whisper White mount embossed using the new Tin Tile Dynamic Texture Embossing Folder.
The "faux linen" component uses a piece of Glossy White Card. I stamped the foliage from the First Frost set in Mossy Meadow, Old Olive and Pear Pizzazz. I then sanded the card in the vertical and horizontal directions as set out in the the video tutorial. I sponged the card with Soft Sea Foam. I then sanded the card again.
It gave a nice even linen appearance. My tip if you are using the technique is to be careful of getting darker smudges of ink during the sponging application.
I wanted the flowers to look like an arrangement. I stamped the roses from the First Frost stamp set in Berry Burst, the thistles in Blackberry Bliss and the leaves in Mossy Meadow and Old Olive. I cut them all out using the matching Frosted Bouquet framelits (I love that there are duplicates of some of the framelits so you don't have to do so much big shotting). I also cut out some leaves in Mossy Meadow card.
Some of the flowers are dimensionalised and others are simply adhered with glue dots. The White Polka Dot Tulle Ribbon is so easy to tie and adhere to the card that I wanted it to look like it was tying off the bouquet.
I decorated the inside of the card using the foliage stamps from the First Frost set along the right side of the card liner. I stamped in the same colours as the faux linen feature - Mossy Meadow, Old Olive and Pear Pizzazz.
The sentiment from the same set is stamped in Blackberry Bliss and hand cut in a simple rectangle around the words. I hope you have taken some inspiration from the project. I actually love the technique and will be using it again in classes.

Don't leave us just yet - you should stop by at Barbara's beautiful blog! She has a fabulous project to share this month!
       
Until next month, get your fingers inky!

Cheers
Shanni xx

Order of August Blog Hop

Lynsay Mahon Canada
Nadine Weiner Germany
Kelly Acheson United States
Zoe Tant United Kingdom
Shannean Moncrieff Australia (that's me!)
Barbara Meyer Austria

4 comments:

  1. Wow that's a stunner. I knew there would be different versions of this technique and I like this one. Must try soon. Thanks for sharing Zoe xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a stunner Shannean! I love how you used the linen technique and the floral arrangement is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I am always excited to hear from visitors and take inspiration and joy from the messsages left.
Cheers
Shanni