Saturday, June 30, 2018

Totally Techniques - Bokeh

Welcome to our Totally techniques Design Team blog hop - this month we are sharing the Bokeh technique. Originally a photography style, this technique has transitioned nicely to the paper crafting world.

Perhaps you have just visited with Zoe Tant, I always love Zoe's projects and this month is brilliant!

This is my project:
I have used Rooted in Nature as my stamp set and this is not necessarily the first set you would reach for and neither are the colours but I wanted to try something a little different and the leaves in this set are stunning.
The base card is Basic Black and mounted with a square of Blackberry Bliss, then mounted both inside and out with a square of Whisper White card.  I stamped the lone tall tree in Tuxedo Black Memento Ink then masked out the area using post it notes.
Using sponge daubers (because I wanted concentrated colour) I used the following inks from top to bottom: Crushed Curry, Pumpkin Pie, Cajun Craze, Real Red, Lovely Lipstick, Rich Razzleberry and Blackberry Bliss.
I chose to do the "bokeh" technique in the traditional way with a stencil made from a piece of Thick Whisper White card punched with the 3/4", the 1" and the 11/4" Circle Punches. I then applied Whisper White Craft Ink with a dauber. In truth I didn't wait long enough for the inks to dry so the colour came through the white a little but I don't mind the effect.
I wanted to add a completely unrelated colour to contrast with the strong colours in the card. I stamped the largest leaf from the Rooted in Nature set in Blackberry Bliss on a piece of Highland Heather card stock and fussy cut and distressed the leaf, ultimately folding it down the centre vein.I adhered it with a dimensional. The I used the three sizes of Basic Black Faceted Dots as a bit of bling. The sentiment is from the same stamp set but I inked it so that the first word wouldn't appear.
Blackberry Bliss is an unusual colour to choose for a project such as this but I love how the dark colours frame the images and make the silhouetted tree all the more dramatic.
I hope you took some inspiration from my project today, the technique is an easy one which works with both subtle and darker toned colours. Enjoy!

Don't leave us just yet, next up we have Barbar Meyer who always blows me away with her beautiful projects and creativity

   
Until next time, stay happy,
Shanni xx

Order of the July Blog Hop

1. Annette Elias (The Netherlands) 
2. Kelly Acheson (USA) 
3. Zoe Tant (UK) 
4. Shannean Moncrieff (Australia) 
7. Nadine Weiner (Germany) 
8. Satomi Wellard (Japan) 

8 comments:

  1. I always love the combination of bright colors paired with white and black. Your result is stunning and chic. Love the fact you chose to do something unexpected!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous colour combo and I love the leaf in the colours you put together. A very striking card. Zx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh WOW! Absolutely beautiful card!! ♥️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a stunning card! I love the colour combination you've used too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW What a combo...I love Bokeh and those colours <3
    Cheers Shaz

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful card!!! The colors are gorgeous together!
    Hugs,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I am always excited to hear from visitors and take inspiration and joy from the messsages left.
Cheers
Shanni