Saturday, April 12, 2014

Clockworks & Paper Craft Crew #88

I am so excited I was a Featured Artisan on the Paper Craft Crew blog for Challenge #86 and I feel so motivated to share another of my creations as a consequence. Thanks so much folks!

So the PCCCS#88 Challenge for this week is:
And here is my take on it:
I love the Soho Subway DSP and am always looking for projects to use it on. My base card in this instance is Early Espresso and I have mounted Very Vanilla on the top to form my blank canvas and also inside the card. I stamped this with the small splashes from Gorgeous Grunge in Smoky Slate and daubed the edges in Smoky Slate.

The colours in the DSP are unique and look kind of rusty and oxidised so I wanted to keep to those tones. I mounted the whole card on a square piece of Not Quite Navy to tie in with the gun metal grey and chose to make the "tag" element out of Smoky Slate cardstock. I stamped Off the Grid on  the Smoky Slate in the same coloured ink and cut it out using the bread tag shape from Chalk Talk Framelit Dies. I used Baked Brown Sugar to daub the perimeter so that it would look rusty.

I know that my two strips of DSP at the back are a bit wider than intended by the PCCCS but I wanted to show off the wooden lettered page of the Soho Subway DSP to it's full extent - its so divine!
I stamped the additional tag outline that contains the sentiment from the Notable Notions set in Early Espresso on Very Vanilla; I fussy cut the shape out as I did not want any light outline around the edges. The sentiment is from Perfect Pennants stamped in Baked Brown Sugar. The little metallic brad completes this aspect.

Given that the sketch has a brad right at the top of the tag I was a little stumped as the whole card would be a bit too busy with another embellishment, so I decided to add some texture in place of the brad. The frayed Burlap Ribbon and Linen Thread around the top right hand corner is in place of this element. I wanted something to balance the other corner and thought that this was just enough.

The three embellishment aspects in the top left hand corner are a a dark wooden button from the Natural Designer Buttons with a Linen Thread tie off. The Baked Brown Sugar embellishment from the Inn Colour Boutique Details pack and a stamped button from the Notable Notions stamp set stamped in Smoky Slate, punched with the 1/2" Circle Punch and daubed around the edges.
For something different - the embellishments on the right hand corner of the tag are all from the Clockworks stamp set! I love this set and use it a lot.

I stamped the fob watch in Early Espresso on Very Vanilla and then I stamped a separate face with hands on the same cardstock in Baked Brown Sugar and punched it out with the 1 1/4" Circle Punch and daubed the edges with the same coloured ink. Of course I had to fussy cut it out.  The brad in the centre is from Vintage Trinkets. I then used Crystal Effects to add some gloss and it blurred the stamped image a bit making it look older. It also brought out the green tone in the Early Espresso ink which I was a little worried about to begin with but became accustomed to.

The cogs from the Clockworks set were stamped in Baked Brown Sugar on Very Vanilla. I fussy cut the larger of the cogs and punched the smaller one out with the 1/2" Circle Punch and daubed the edges of both with Baked Brown Sugar and a bit of Smoky Slate ink.
Finally the three metallic brads along the bottom tie in with the two elements required on the sketch. I am a stickler for odd numbers so apologise for this addition. The sentiment is stamped in Early Espresso on Very Vanilla and the stamp is actually from Cycle Celebration and normally says Wheely Sweet Friend. I punched it with the Word Window Punch and daubed the edge with Baked Brown Sugar. It's mounted with dimensionals. I also wanted to make the sentiment pop a little more than the tag so used the solid gold washi tape from the Watercolour Wonder Designer Washi tape in the Occasions Catalogue. I also used it on the top left hand corner of the card to balance the whole layout.

Thanks for the inspiration Paper Craft Crew!
Shanni xx

2 comments:

  1. Hi Shanni, WOW, and Wow again! I love your gorgeous masculine card! From the DSP to the beautifully aged Clock face and burlap...all of it!! Fabulous card, and I would love to Case it! Thanks so much for joking us again at the Paper Craft Crew :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... Totally amazing card! Love all the details and masculine feel. I really love Vintage cards. Thanks so much for playing along with the Paper Craft Crew. I'll be featuring your card on our Featured Artisan Post.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I am always excited to hear from visitors and take inspiration and joy from the messsages left.
Cheers
Shanni