Saturday, July 1, 2017

Totally Techniques - Cling Wrap



This month's blog hop is small as everyone is preparing to depart on the Stamping' Up! Incentive Trip to Thailand. . . it's busy but exciting at the same time. Welcome!

I hope you enjoyed Nadine's beautiful creation - I am always so inspired by Nadine's projects ~ beautiful and I can't wait to see her swaps on our trip next week!

Cling Wrap technique has proven quite the challenge. I followed Lydia Fielder's YouTube Tutorial and changed out the card stock to Glossy White Card. This is my project:
I have used Magical Mermaid. The base card is Lemon Lime Twist (and of course the card is square). I mounted a square of Bermuda By card and then another square of Dapper Denim card stock before the stamped layer.

In making the background I used Lemon Lime Twist and Pool Party re-inkers. I placed drops of the coloured re-inkers on a large piece of cling wrap. Spritzed the cling wrap thoroughly and then placed the square of Glossy White card flat on the cling film. I then scrunched the cling wrap and left it for about 2 hours for the colours to set. It left a marble like finish.
The colour in the mermaid's tail was created using the same cling wrap technique on Shimmery White car - my observation is that the porous card stocks are not suited to this technique because the depth of colour in Stamping' Up! re-inkers is saturated. I didn't want to waste the coloured card because I liked the tones - I used Dapper Denim and Tranquil Tide re-inkers on the Shimmery White card. Once the card had dried I stamped the mermaid's tail in Archival Black Ink and fussy cut the image out.

I stamped the top half of the mermaid on Whisper White card stock and coloured the hair in So Saffron using the Wink of Stella Clear pen and Dapper Denim for the hair band.
I love the shimmer through the hair. I proceeded to fussy cut the mermaid, adhere the tail and then stuck the mermaid on the project with dimensionals.
The seaweed in the back ground is from the Magical Mermaid set, stamped in Archival Black Ink. I also used the fern leaf from Butterfly Basics - this is also stamped in Archival Black Ink. The spray of ink is from the grunge stamp in the Magical Mermaid set stamped in Dapper Denim ~ I was so disappointed when the spots at the top smudged; this is one of the hazards of working with glossy card and water based inks.
How cute is the sentiment? This is from the Magical Mermaid set and is heat embossed with Silver Stamping' Emboss powder. I wanted the sentiment to glisten and disappear almost as if you are looking through water to see it. . . The Glitter Enamel Dots are the finishing embellishment and I chose a number of the green ones matching the colour tones with the marbled back ground. I wanted the suggestion of air bubbles and sunlight popping the undersea world.
I decorated the inside of the card with the seaweed from the Magical Mermaid set to marry in the theme. I stamped in Archival Black Ink and like the sharp contrast with the Whisper White card liner and the Lemon Lime Twist card base.
I hope you have found the background technique inspiring. The trick with the technique is to be patient and allow the inks to dry naturally. Don't leave us yet. . . Check out Patrice's amazing card it's so delicate and pretty ~ she managed to eek out an entirely different background to mine and Nadines. . .

Until next time. . .
Shanni

Order of Blog Hop June

Patrice Halliday-Larsen (New Zealand)
Nadine Weiner (Germany)
Shannean Moncrieff (Australia) ~ that's me!

2 comments:

  1. I love your background and really envy that your card has so cool, crisp lines from the cling wrap. I have to try the glossy paper as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your card and techniques. You did a beautiful job putting everything together, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I am always excited to hear from visitors and take inspiration and joy from the messsages left.
Cheers
Shanni