Saturday, July 30, 2016

Totally Techniques - Masking Technique


Welcome back beautiful people to another Totally Techniques Design Team blog hop this month featuring Masking Techniques. . .

Hopefully you have come from Heather's Blog - isn't she incredible? I love how we have all used such different stamp sets and colours.

Here is my creation:
With the advent of the new "in colours" for 2016 I am challenging myself to use brighter colours and to embrace the bright and busy DSPs so I hope that you are shocked out of your socks by this little creation. . .

It is a rectangle card which I made with the full width of our A4 cardstock. The base is Pumpkin Pie, Mounted with Melon Mambo and then a piece of the glorious if overwhelming Festive Birthday Designer Series Paper. I used the reverse side of the one page for the contrasting stripes to break up the colour a little. I have also lined the inside of the card with a piece of Melon Mambo, mounted with Whisper White and thin strip of the striped DSP.
What have I masked you may be asking yourself? Well I am still a traditionalist when it comes to stamping even if I am stepping out in the colour department. I masked the cacti, the flowers and the decorations across the top of the stamped area. And being old fashioned I masked using post it notes. The stamp set is the Birthday Fiesta which is really versatile for children's cards - I can tell already that this is going to be a favourite in our house. . .
The cacti were easy to stamp, mask and stamp with stamped off ink. The flowers likewise were really simple - I wanted to marry in the background DSP a little and this seemed the most obvious way to do it. . . I loved using the border stamp for the decorations - being photo polymer I was able to shape the stamp to the curve I wanted and then stamp in Melon Mambo. I made a mask with post it notes then stamped with the same border stamp but with a slightly different curve in Pumpkin Pie.
The llama is stamped in Tip Top Taupe on Sahara Sand and cut out using the matching framelit from the Fiesta Time Framelit set. The blanket on the llama's back was stamped in Melon Mambo on Whisper White and the floral pattern is actually meant to be a banner stamp but lends itself to this blanket perfectly. I fussy cut the blanket.
I added two stand alone cactus cut out with the matching framelits for interest. and dimension. I balanced the whole layout with Whisper White Mini Pompom Trim to contrast with the bright colours. Because I haven't added texture to this card I thought some dimension would be good. You can see from the photo above how many layers I have incorporated. The sentiment comes from the Crazy for You set.

Trusting that you have found some inspiration for the technique of the stamp set.
Please take the time to check out the others creations from our design team.  Check out Alison's amazing project here!
Thanks for stopping by.
Shanni xx

Order of Masking Technique Blog Hop


2 comments:

  1. How fun! Love that little llama and the masked cactus images are just perfect! Great colors and design. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW that is bright lol but I love it, such a fun card Shannean

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I am always excited to hear from visitors and take inspiration and joy from the messsages left.
Cheers
Shanni