Saturday, October 11, 2014

Paper Crafting Crew #113 - Hot Diggity Dog

We lost a guinea pig recently and my kids were completely devastated. . . the risk of this type of event was the reason why we decided on having guinea pigs in the first place. It is important that kids are exposed to a whole gambit of emotions including death and loss but it was unexpected what a huge impact it had on us.

A friend of mine lost her 16 year old dog this week due to old age and it is hard to know what condolences to offer and how to show support. But I wanted to make a card for her to let her know that we understand her loss and empathise with what she is going through.

In working out the layout for my doggie sympathy card I just happened across the Paper Crafting Crew challenge sketch #113 for this week (it was sitting in my in box).  This is the sketch:
This is my not so perfect interpretation of it:
You can't see in the photo that I have Early Espresso card stock mounted behind the Very Vanilla base card but I do lol. I  embossed a slightly smaller piece of Very Vanilla card stock with the Large Polka Dot TIEF and mounted it on the base card with dimensionals.

The doggies from the Hot Diggity Dog set have been stamped in Crumb Cake, Baked Brown Sugar and Early Espresso Classic Inks. Some have been fussy cut and I masked the sausage dog when I stamped it, to make it look like the boxer is hugging him.
I thought that I needed a few touches of a contrasting colour so opted for Rose Red Classic Ink. You will see that I have stamped and fussy cut the tongue, bone bow and collar. To marry in the colours I mounted the stamped feature on Rose Red card stock and Early Espresso card stock.

You will see that the sentiment "never underestimate the warmth of a cold nose" from the Hot Diggity Dog set as well, is cut into a pennant shape and mounted on the Rose Red card stock. Inside the card it says "no greater companion. no greater friend. so sorry for your loss" from the same set.
Finally I added two Melon Mambo Candy Dots to contrast with the Early Espresso Candy Dot and comply with the need for an embellishment in the top right hand corner of the stamped feature.

Sending hugs
Shanni xx

2 comments:

  1. This is absolutely gorgeous and I have no doubt your friend will be touched by your offer of condolences. Love your colour choices. So sorry to hear of the passing of your guinea - it's amazing how our pets become such a big important part of the family. We are pet lovers here too and have suffered loss, and also the true joy our pets bring to our lives each and every day x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shanni, I love your adorable pups! What a sweet card! You may think it's an imperfect interpretation, but I think it's spot on. TFS

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I am always excited to hear from visitors and take inspiration and joy from the messsages left.
Cheers
Shanni