Friday, February 15, 2013

Ex Libris Birthday Card

Sometimes I just like to play with a set to see if it can do all that I want it to do. That was exactly what happened when I was making this card and fortunately for me it fitted my goals for a birthday card. . .
Base card is Soft Suede mounted with Always Artichoke and then Cherry Cobbler and then the actual card base which is Very Vanilla. The Ex Libris is stamped twice, first on the card base and then again on Very Vanilla in Soft Suede ink. I fussy cut the outer part of the stamped frame from the second stamped image and mounted it on the base image - to give the impression that the whole background was framed. Of course I couldn't resist distressing the edges a little and daubing in Soft Suede.

The flowers are stamped in Cherry Cobbler and Early Espresso using the Stippled Blossom set. This is a terrific two step stampin' set and very easy to use with great outcomes every time. I stamped two of the larger flowers and five of the smaller one then fussy cut them out.  The leaves from the same set are stamped in Always Artichoke and Early Espresso. I highlighted the centres of the flowers with Silver Dazzling Detail.
I then layered the flowers and poked the leaves in where they looked the most natural and they also served as a method of separating the flower images so that it all appears to be a "natural abandon" of flowers.
I couldn't resist adding some texture - Vanilla and Cherry Cobbler Seam Binding Ribbon tied with some Linen thread.  I love that you can scrunch, pull and fray the seam binding for different effects.

The greeting is from Well Scripted and I thought that it married with the filigree and pattern of the Ex Libris background.
The inside of the card has been decorated with one of the large images from the Stippled Blossom set to marry in the whole theme.

Happy Birthday Karen!

Cheers
Shanni xx


2 comments:

  1. Hi Shanni
    Love this card will love to take your idea for a workshop Your Awesome love Miss Txxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shanni, just found your beautiful card - love the colors and effects!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I am always excited to hear from visitors and take inspiration and joy from the messsages left.
Cheers
Shanni